Sunday, October 11, 2009

Are you guys close?

I went to dinner earlier this evening at an old mission companion's house. There were some other RMs there as well, most of which are married. I brought along a girl that I've spent a lot of time with this past week. Obviously we aren't at the point of exclusively dating each other yet, but things have been going pretty well.

Anyways, one of the RMs there was an older missionary that I never actually met when serving my mission. About the middle of the evening, he looks at me and my date and asks "so are you guys married?" Taken aback, I froze and then quickly responded, "no." Without a moment's hesitation, he had a follow-up question for me: "Are you guys close?" I froze yet again. I didn't even have time to think before I found myself jumping forward with a response: "no!" I'm not sure if everyone else noticed me breathing heavily. A better answer might have been "Oh no, haha, we're just good friends for the time being . . . " or something of the sort. But no. In the awkwardness of it all, I jumped the gun with a passionate and resounding "no."

I don't really mind. Who asks that anyways? I don't even know the guy!

"Are you guys close?" Well we're definitely not now. Thank you for making my date feel uncomfortable.

No comments:

Post a Comment