Sunday, October 4, 2009

The Callback

This last week on Friday I was talking with my lead-off hitter. If you don't know what that means, please see our "Take me out to the ballgame" post. We were in the same building and had just finished up what we each needed to get done and were both heading home. As we made our way out of a building and just as we were about to head out the door, some other guy called out her name. She said "hey!" and stopped for a second. I didn't know the guy and thus hesitated to see if she was going to stick around to talk to him or just follow behind me out the door after a quick hello. She gave a follow up comment and I made a quick judgment call to just leave, knowing that I’ll see her next week. While walking out the door, she said, "See you" and I said, "Bye”.

Within probably 30 seconds of exiting the building, I heard a girl call out my voice and I turned around to see her coming after me. She asked why I just took off and I told her about how I was just caught off guard and didn't quite know how to respond and expected her to stick around and catch up for a minute. She mentioned to me that she wanted to just say hi but didn't feel like she could do so because she was going on a date with him later that night. Not wanting to have me get discouraged (as I see it), she quickly mentioned that she doesn't really like him like that but she felt like she couldn't really say no. We walked a little further until our paths split and we each went our respective ways.

Although this isn’t a major breakthrough, it is still nice to get her chasing after me and it is definitely a good sign that she mentioned to me that she would tell me she was going out on a date but wasn’t interested in the guy. There’s a reason she is batting in the lead-off position.

-A.T.H.

No comments:

Post a Comment